Tracey's Journal

This is just a place for me to post some pictures, write a few lines, and hopefully share some of my crafts.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Baby Surprise Jacket


Sorry it's been so long since I posted. It's been so hot here that not much has been happening. This is either the 3rd or 4th week of 100+ temperatures. I'm so looking forward to our trip to Syracuse NY. We will be leaving a week from today. :)

I have been knitting despite the heat. I have 2 pregnant people in my life right now and I decided I wanted to knit Baby Surprise Jackets (by Elizabeth Zimmermann) for them. I went to the LYS and purchased the required yarn on Friday the 17th, and finished the first jacket on Tuesday the 21st. I also purchased more yarn on Tuesday and cast on the 2nd jacket. :) Both of the babies are due within the next 4 weeks. I'd also like to knit them booties, and maybe a hat for the northern baby. :)

If you've never heard of a BSJ, I have pictures to show you. :) Elizabeth Z. is a genius. Her clever shaping makes it possible to knit a sweater in one piece with only 2 shoulder seams to sew when you are finished knitting. This is what it looks like before you fold it.

The finished picture above shows the clever shaping. You can even see how it gets a little wider after the waist to allow for the diaper. :)


This picture shows the BSJ half folded. I have to admit while I was knitting it I had no idea what was what. I've had to fold it several times to see how she did it. I've started my 2nd jacket in solid blue and I have some yellow for stripes. I've only knit about 12 row on it, so there isn't much to show. :)


Joe and I had a wonderful time on our anniversary. We didn't do much at all, but we enjoyed sleeping in, and the extra time with each other. :) My Mom (thanks again Mom & Dad) dropped off a BIG basket from Heavenly Ham that we ate on for a while. :) It was nice to have something great to eat without heating up the house. :)


Joe got me several sets of dpns and 2 knitting DVDs. The DVDs were the "Baby Surprise Jacket" by Meg Swanson, and "A Knitting Glossary" with Elizabeth Zimmermann and Meg Swanson. Everything came from Knitpicks. :)

Thank goodness for the DVD because for some reason I was having trouble reading and understanding the written pattern. This is very unusual for me as I usually have no trouble teaching myself from books alone. But knitting has been different from the start for me. I've needed to watch clips on-line, or ask a friend or watch a DVD. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older? I don't know. :)

My friend Ann's birthday was yesterday and we have plans to spend Saturday together to celebrate. We don't know exactly what we are doing, but lunch and knitting are definitely on the list. :) It really doesn't matter what we do as we always have a fun time together no matter what. :)

I haven't been knitting all day (I love my Wednesdays off from work), I also made a cherry pie. I have no idea what we are going to have for dinner, but I know what's on the menu for dessert. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 8/23/2007 9:44 AM, Blogger Little Old Liz said…

    Oh. My. Golly! Look how your needle knitting has grown. For a moment there I thought I was visiting Wendy Knits or some other long-time knitter's blog. Could I tempt you to convert the BSJ to the looms? (Ok, I may be too cheap to buy the pattern for myself, I'll admit it.) They do turn out just so precious!

     
  • At 8/23/2007 4:18 PM, Blogger Tracey Carsto said…

    Liz, even if I could convert the pattern to the loom (can't because of copyright issues), there would be so much moving of stitches. You would never knit it on a loom. For instance on the first row alone you'd have to move 68 stitches! So save your money unless you plan on knitting it with needles. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TraceysJournal