Tracey's Journal

This is just a place for me to post some pictures, write a few lines, and hopefully share some of my crafts.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Loom knitting update ie the saga of the gauntlets

I've been quiet on the blog for so long because I've been trying to create a flip top mitten. I figured if I could get a gauntlet to fit, then I could attach a flip top mitten to it and I'd be a happy camper. So I went searching for a pattern for a loom knit gauntlet. I found several, but they either didn't have a thumb (which I wanted), or they were knit with bulky weight yarn, which I didn't want to use. I wanted to use some of my pretty sock weight yarn.

So, I decided to adjust a pattern I found by Jessica McConnell. I don't remember where I found it, or I'd give you a link to it. Her pattern was for mittens knit flat then seamed together once you were done. Well, I didn't want to make the entire mitten, so I made some adjustments to make it a gauntlet. I also decided that I didn't need to do a gauge swatch. I thought my stitches per inch were the same as what the pattern called for. (Bet you can guess what happened). Yep, WAY TOO small! In fact, it fit my 3 year old nephew pretty well. In my defense since it was being knit flat I didn't know how bad it was till it was WAY too late!

So, for the second gauntlet I determined my gauge from the first gauntlet and tried again. This time was okay, just a little too big. I could probably wear it, but I wasn't happy with it, so I made more adjustments to the pattern and tried again.

The third gauntlet was much better. It actually fits! I still did a bit more tweaking of the pattern for it's mate, but just a little, probably not enough that anyone but me will notice. The mate is still on the loom and when it is finished I'm going to attempt to put the flip-top mitten on. :)

Here are all 3 gauntlets in order of creation:



Here is the 3rd gauntlet. Notice how it is a little baggy above the wrist? I moved my increase stitches on my 4th gauntlet and I hope that takes care of the baggy part. :)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TraceysJournal