Tracey's Journal

This is just a place for me to post some pictures, write a few lines, and hopefully share some of my crafts.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Knitting with Needles

I've finally mastered knitting with needles. I've had a block on doing this for so long. I learned to crochet when I was 8, and as a result knitting seemed so hard. There was no little hook on the end of the needle to help hold the yarn as you made each stitch. I ended up splitting the yarn, fighting with the yarn, and generally not having a good time. Since this was supposed to be enjoyable I put it aside and decided I couldn't do it.

Well, all my attempts at making a gauntlet without a pattern on my loom has lead me to try needle knitting again. I was at a friend's house Saturday and she helped me with some problems I was having and suddenly knitting was fun. I borrowed some needles from her and cast on Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth yesterday and finished it yesterday and cast on a second one. Guess what everybody is going to get as Christmas presents this year. :)

I'm still going to loom knit, especially socks since double pointed needles and sock yarn seems like torture to me, and I really do like the sock loom. I have the pegs numbered for easy pattern following, and the yarn doesn't slip off the pegs like they can slip off the double pointed needles. :)

Well, after all this typing I'll share the picture of my first needle knit project. :)

6 Comments:

  • At 11/13/2006 11:51 AM, Anonymous Chris said…

    Not meaning to discourage you from sock loom knitting. It is just that my own loom knit socks do not look nearly as nice as my needle knit socks, especially since I have discovered the Magic Loop method of knitting socks on one circular needle. The great thing about needle knit socks is being able to play with cables (especially cheater cables that just use twisted stitches and no cable needle), lace etc, which I find slow and hard on the looms. You can also tweak the gauge by knitting fewer stitches per round or using smaller needles, which you can't do on a loom. So I'd encourage you to give it a try one day, it is easier than it looks.

     
  • At 11/13/2006 11:56 AM, Blogger Tracey Carsto said…

    Chris,

    Thank you for the insite on needle socks, especially with the magic loop method. I may give it a try once I feel more accomplished with needles. I have been able to do traditional cables and lace with my sock loom, but being able to do adjust the stitch number using the needles is very appealing. :)

     
  • At 11/13/2006 12:56 PM, Blogger Sorka said…

    Tracy! Great job on your first needle knit project!
    Denise
    www.purlsofhope.com

     
  • At 11/13/2006 1:10 PM, Blogger Isela: Purling Sprite said…

    Woohoo! Congratulations on your needle knit project. It looks beautiful!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 5:52 AM, Anonymous Ariannah Armstrong said…

    I had read your blog for a while, and had this mild curiosity about why you didn't knit with needles, and it was nice to finally get the answer without having to ask :)

    Like Chris said, magic loop is an option, which you may enjoy if you find double-points to be a daunting prospect.

    As a long time needle knitter it's probably easy for me to say (I learned to knit first then crochet as a child), but knitting with double points isn't as difficult as it sounds, either. The "other needles" are simply placeholders while the stitches are unworked.

    There's a learning curve to everything, and it looks like you conquered the first step with that lovely dishcloth! Well done!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Debbie said…

    YAY!!!

    You're an inspiration my girl! I'll dig out the needles one day (yep, even the dpns for all that wonderful CTH yarn we have!)

    But right now, I have more cross stitch gifts to get finished before a couple of babies are born before I can work on Christmas looming. Good thing looms work up fast!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TraceysJournal