Tracey's Journal

This is just a place for me to post some pictures, write a few lines, and hopefully share some of my crafts.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Sad Day

This morning we were awakened by my sister-in-law knocking on the door. My father-in-law passed away this morning. He was found on the floor by his bed. It appears to be a heart attack. He was only 77 years old. He had gallstones, but otherwise was in good health.

Needless to say we are all in shock with the suddenness of it all. Today has been spent making phone calls, going through paperwork and crying. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. He served in the Air Force for over 20 years and will be having a military funeral. His service will be at his church. We will be going tomorrow to make the final arrangements as they were totally unprepared. We are going to pick out the gravesite as well as the casket.

This is a new experience for me as I've not had a parent pass away yet. It's only been distant relatives and grandparents, and other have taken care of the arrangements. My MIL (mother-in-law) is handling things fairly well. She is of course shocked, but trying to get things taken care of. My DH is helping with the paperwork aspects, and us girls (my 2 SIL's and I) are trying to help with decisions on where and when. Everything is being democratically, and as the only in-law, I even have a vote, (I guess that's what you get after 20 years of marriage).

Prayers would be appreciated from all who do pray, and good wishes from those who don't.

P.S. Please forgive any spelling errors. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 9/04/2006 6:25 PM, Blogger Looming Looney said…

    Hello Tracey, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My father, a veteran also, passed away in his sleep due to a heart attack. It was sudden, we were visiting family members out of town when it happened. I had to make funeral arrangements. I have never had to do anything so difficult in all my life. There were times when I didn't think I was going to make it through. I missed that man so much, but things are getting better for all of us. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay strong and most importantly be there for your MIL, believe me she will need each and every one of you in the days, weeks, months to come. With Gods Love, Tonya

     
  • At 9/04/2006 6:33 PM, Blogger Tracey Carsto said…

    Tonya, Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well.

     
  • At 9/04/2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Isela: Purling Sprite said…

    My dear friend,
    We are sending you our love and prayers. Comfort for everyone in the family, especially for your MIL--she will need companionship and someone just to listen.

    We love you,

    Sam & Isela

     
  • At 9/05/2006 8:26 AM, Blogger Ariannah Armstrong said…

    We're praying for you. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

     
  • At 9/07/2006 9:46 PM, Blogger Katty_katwoman said…

    My 4-ever distant friend....our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. God has another "special" angel in his midst. He will comfort you and yours.

    Dixie--Indiana

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TraceysJournal