Tracey's Journal

This is just a place for me to post some pictures, write a few lines, and hopefully share some of my crafts.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Life back to normal???

Well the visitation is over, the funeral is over, and life will go back to being as normal as it possibly can be when you've lost a close family member.

The visitation was Wednesday, and it was the longest night of my life. We got there a little after 2pm and stayed till 8pm. There were family members, friends and co-workers there. There were flowers and plants everywhere, and in the casket was my FIL. We all decided to dress him in his normal clothes, not a suit, so he was in a polo shirt and pants, and he was holding his rosary. Tucked into the casket was a pack of chewing tobacco, his glasses, his Dale Earnhart cap, and hard candy. The funeral home did a fabulous job with him, and were SOOOOOO good to us.

The funeral was Thursday. Tom Buffington and I did the readings at church, and the ceremony was very nice with music picked out by my SIL Jeannette. Then came the funeral procession to the gravesite, but we took the long way around so he could see the house one last time. :) The Air Force color guard was waiting for us at the gravesite. They showed Papa Joe the utmost respect. When Taps was played on the bugle I started crying. The lt. who presented the flag to my MIL Hattie had a tear running down his face and got a little choked up. The only part I heard was that he was presenting the flag on behalf of the President of the United States. After that I broke down and couldn't hear anything else.

We then went back to the church where the ladies had prepared food for us. There were about 75 people there eating. After lunch we headed back to my in-laws with the family. 2 of my FIL's brothers were able to come down, as well as 1 sister, 3 sisters-in-law, and 1 niece. The only remaining sibling was a sister who couldn't come down due to health reasons.

It has been a long hard week, and here we are coming up on the weekend. I don't like to think about what my desk will look like when I get back on Monday, or what my DH will have to deal with since has not been able to replace his assistant yet. He is the only person who knows how to do his job now, so he will have to try and catch up on a week's worth of work when he gets back.

I would like to thank everyone who has sent me e-mails giving me support and prayers. I wish I had the time to contact each one of you individually, but I'm afraid that is impossible.

I'm looking forward to sitting down and relaxing with some knitting. Maybe I'll even have time to do that this weekend. :)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TraceysJournal