Tracey's Journal

This is just a place for me to post some pictures, write a few lines, and hopefully share some of my crafts.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Explanation of short row heel

I've had so many people ask me questions about how to do the short row heel on the Decor Accents' EFG or FG sock loom I decided to post a tutorial here. The following tutorial is an explanation of Isela Phelp's ribbed sock short row heel pattern.

The directions are written for a 48 peg loom. I found it easier for my first few socks to run an extra copy of the decreasing and increasing page for my loom size so I could check off each box on the chart when I finished a row.

The first row of your heel will be pegs 1-24. You will knit pegs 1-24 take the loop off peg 25, wrap the peg put the stitch back on, leaving 2 loops on peg 25.
Knit back on pegs 24-2, take the loop off peg 1 wrap the peg put the stitch back on, leaving 2 loops on peg.
Knit pegs 2-23, wrap peg 24, leaving 2 loops on peg.
Knit pegs 23-3, wrap peg 2, leaving 2 loops on peg.
Knit pegs 3-22 and continue on following Isela's chart till you knit your last decreasing row of pegs 16-10, wrap peg 9.
You will then have finished decreasing and you will start increasing.
To start increasing knitting pegs 10-17, when you come to the 1st peg with 2 wraps (peg 17 for your first row) you will knit 2 over 1 on that peg.
Knit pegs 17-9 (yes you will knit peg 17 twice, this prevents holes in your heel), knitting 2 over 1 on peg 9.
Knit pegs 9-18, knitting 2 over 1 on peg 18.
Continue in this manner until you have knit your final row of pegs 25-1. Once you have knit your final row of pegs 25-1. You will be finished with your heel and you will start knitting in the round again down the length of your foot. You will need to allow about 1 1/2" for your toe section, so stop knitting 1 1/2" shy of the length of your foot.
Once you have knit your foot section you will begin your toe section. It is exactly the same as your heel. The only difference being once you have finished your decreasing and increasing and are back at peg 1 you are finished knitting. You then have to stitch up your toe.
There are several methods to stitch up your toe. Isela's pattern calls for the zig-zag removal, but I prefer the Kitchener stitch.
I remove my stitches onto 2 knitting needles and use the Kitchener stitch to close up my toe. Your stitches will match as long as you put 1/2 your stitches on one needle (in your case pegs 1-24) and the other 1/2 on the other needle (in your case pegs 25-48).

The only difference between the heel and toe is that you don't start knitting in the round when you finish the toe, you close your toe. Your seam will be on the top of your toes, but if you use the Kitchener stitch you won't truly have a seam. I have pics on my blog of the zig-zag removal and the Kitchener stitch. I used both methods on my first pair of socks and I like the look of the Kitchener stitch much better, and I don't think it was any more difficult to do either.

1 Comments:

  • At 6/26/2006 10:32 AM, Blogger LizAnderson said…

    Oh Tracey -
    You're and absolute doll for taking the time to post these directions. Thanks you thank you thank you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/TraceysJournal